I created this comedic-hypothetical conversation as an example of the fallacy in proof from personal experience and the "you cant prove god doesn't exit" argument.
A Hypothetical Conversation With a Theist: When The Tables are Turned
---------------------------------------------------------
Eric: Hey Jesus did you hear about the new species of ants discovered in Peru?
Jesus: No what about them?
Eric: Well they say the ants carry a chemical in their blood that cures cancer when orally ingested!
Jesus: What no way they discovered a cure for cancer?
Eric: Yes it was in the ants blood all along! Their is only one problem though.
Jesus: What problem?
Eric: The side effects. They say it makes you shit out lizards for a month.
Jesus: What! No freaking way! LOL your crazy what do you mean that the ants make you shit out lizards? You mean like real life lizards as in reptiles?
Eric: Yes they start crawling out of your rectum for an entire month. But they are the small lizards, I don't think it will hurt much anyways, besides it's a cure for cancer!
Jesus: Bro eric, are you sure about this it kinda seems impossible, its not based on science. How the heck is someone going to crap lizards from eating ants? Where do the lizards even come from?
Eric. Oh Jesus stop being such a sceptic.
Jesus: I dont believe you.
Eric: Why not?
Jesus: Your claim doesn't even make sense. This is completely crazy man. So you're saying I eat ants, my cancer is cured, and then I crap lizards for a month? Do the ants transform into the lizards? Sorry I just don't I don't buy it.
Eric: Well Its true!
Jesus: Okay prove it. Until you prove it I don't have to believe you.
Eric: Well can you prove that it is not true Jesus? You don't have all the answers you know!
Jesus: What!!!? That's crazy how am I going to prove that it is not true? You are the one making the claim about ants with blood that cures cancer but cause you to crap lizards for a month, you prove it!
Eric: Well I cant, but i personally believe it, I have had many personal experiences.
Jesus: Like what?
Eric: Well theirs this guy named Joe. Joe says that after eating the ants all this happened to him, and it could happen to you as well. He explained it all to us.
Jesus: Do you know Joe, where can I meet him?
Eric: Well he said he did but he is dead now. Its all in the research papers.
Jesus: What research papers?
Eric: Well they were written a long time ago by a guy who knew a guy who knew some other guy that knew Joe. They said Joe said the ants were real.
Jesus: So no one has spoken to Joe?
Eric: Of course we have! If you think about him really hard he will answer you in your head. Only a fool ignores the voice of Joe.
Jesus: Look Eric this has gone far enough. You are making a bunch of wild claims and have no proof, I have no reason to believe this nonsense!
Eric: But what about Joe? Wont you ask him tonight? I promise he will reveal himself to you if you open your heart and ask him about the ants.
Jesus: You need help eric, i think you're suffering from schizophrenia and experiencing forms of auditory and visual hallucination, you need psychiatric help.
Eric: Whatever I know it's true and I feel sorry for you, if you ever get cancer you will not be healed. And you have not proven to me that these ants don't exist anyways. You are lost.
Jesus: This is stupid. I don't have to prove anything. You made the claim that these ants exist, and that they cure cancer and make you crap lizards. You prove it. Im done with this conversation!
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment